Welcome to my Social Media Resume. I am a senior at James Madison University double majoring in Communication Studies and Media Arts and Design. I am from a small town called Mechanicsville, Virginia and have expanded various skills throughout my time at JMU. As a double major, I received a wide range of experience in the communication and public relations field. With extensive writing and technical classes from each major, I have developed an undeniable passion in corporate communication where I hope to pursue a career within the coming years. This resume will show off my strengths as a creative writer through numerous class assignments and projects. My online portfolio is also available to view along with a pdf version of my resume.
Vice President of Public Relations, Dec 2011 – present
- Maintain the Tri Delta brand and image
- Chairman of the Public Relations Team
- Create and update chapter blog on WordPress
- Manage and update all chapter social media such as our website, Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest
- Plan and implement a public relations program in collaboration with the public relations team
- Develop and incorporate a crisis communication plan
- Work with the philanthropy chair by coordinating and promote philanthropic events
Leadership Counselor, Feb 2012 – present
- Study and discuss leadership theories and styles
- Facilitate and work with JMU freshman students
- Experience in working with a partner
Member, Sep 2011 – present
- Educates and honors students in the communication field
- Given a forum to understand the communication field
President, Jan 2011 – Dec 2011
- Served as a spokesperson for the JMU Panhellenic Association
- Oversaw the ten sorority chapters on the JMU campus
- Held and ran regular general body meetings
- Gave public speeches to the greek community
- Revise the JMU Panhellenic Constitution and Bylaws when needed
- Gained experience with delegating and working with a team
President-Elect, Jan 2010 – Dec 2010
- Assisted the President as needed
- Updated the Panhellenic calendar
- “Outstanding Contributions to Council,” Fraternity and Sorority Life Awards (Feb 2012); After my role as the Panhellenic Council President
- “Outstanding Program,” JMU Dolley Awards (April 2012); For the Panhellenic Council’s philanthropic work on the Be Beautiful Campaign
Relevant Communication Studies Coursework
- Presentational Speaking- Learned how to organize and write effective speeches by analyzing some of the most famous speeches in history. Had a hands-on experience of writing and presenting original speeches to a large class.
- Introduction to Communication Research- Studied the principles, methods and techniques used in communication research. Not only did I successfully write a literature review, but it was recognized by my professor as it was used as a positive example for future classes.
- Introduction to Public Relations- Studied the guiding principles of public relations. Was challenged to understand and resolve the general public relations problems through oral, written and online communication skills.
- Public Relations Techniques I: Written- Practiced effective writing by producing various samples such as press releases, public service announcements, brochures, and newsletters. I also created an online portfolio that I continuously update with my latest writing samples.
- Communication, Diversity & Pop Culture- Analyzed and wrote about communication texts in pop culture with a specific focus on diversity in the media. Learned to think critically about how the media constructs and influences society on cultural stereotypes.
- Advanced Public Relations Writing- Worked on a group blog titled, “The Blushing Bridesmaids,” where each of us published posts relating to the wedding industry. Not only was it completely hands-on, but our group excelled in promoting our blog to the JMU community by using popular social media tools such as Blogger, Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Instagram, Four Square, and Google Plus.
Relevant Corporate Communication Coursework
- Fundamental Skills in Media Arts and Design I- Enhanced technical skills by learning to photo edit and design media layouts through programs like Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign.
- Fundamental Skills in Media Arts and Design II- Created my own personal website that was HTML coded and worked with DreamWeaver. I also produced and edited original videos through iMovie and worked with Garage Band for audio recordings.
- Introduction to Corporate Communication- Introduction course to the corporate communication field. Studied and learned how to organize and implement a company strategic plan. Analyzed recent case studies dealing with crisis communication and put together plans to deal with hypothetical company crises.
- Topics in Media Arts and Design: Magazine Production in Urbino, Italy- Studied abroad in a small, Italian town called Urbino where I wrote and was published in the Urbino Now magazine. Not only did I learn and become part of the Italian culture with Italian language courses, but I reported and wrote a feature story on an Italian woman and worked with a student translator. Three of my stories were published in the magazine, and I was recognized by the program for having the best short story piece.
- Information Communication and Technologies- Studied various forms of social media while writing a group corporate blog on the hospitality and travel industry. Researched corporate communication best practices and produced an Ebook and video based on our group’s findings.